I've made some progress on the aesthetic of the game, and as a result everything's looking slightly less square. "The Flip" is looking particularly nice (especially compared to the previous screenshot I posted)
Changelog of sorts:
- Objects in previous levels now no longer magically show up in the next level
- Backgrounds of levels no longer need to be black (although the level in the screenshot is black anyway)
- The main character's hat now comes off when the player throws it.
- Added more tiles including sand paths, walls, doors, and special surfaces with specific properties
- Keys can be picked up to open doors